The objectives of the biennial training project carried out by IMATI in collaboration with the CAD.I.TECH company are: 1) the development of basic and advanced skills in the field of geometric modelling and Augmented and Mixed Reality, 2) raising awareness in the specification and analysis of real-world industrial problems following a scientific approach and with direct contact with industrial realities. These objectives will be achieved through the awarding of a professionalizing research grant (assegno di ricerca professionalizzante) whose activities will include:
- definition and prototype development of a smart assistant to support the operator during the installation, verification and maintenance of industrial equipment or complex mechanical products;
- attendance to courses and/or conferences in the domain.
The smart assistant aims at providing the operator with the necessary information at the right moment in an easy and easy to understand manner to support the operator activity as effectively as possible. In this regard, Augmented and Mixed Reality (AR / MR) techniques provide a valuable tool as they allow to transform volumes of data, information and analysis results into images or animations that overlap the real world thus avoiding the cognitive overhead due to the mapping between information contained in textual, graphic or video documents, and the corresponding physical objects.
In industry, it is now common practice to use 3D CAD (Computer-Aided Design) systems for design and PLM systems to manage all information relating to products. Furthermore, the introduction of IoT (Internet of things) in factories has led to the concept of digital twin, i.e. the digital replication of reality, which allows to verify the functioning and identify possible problems in advance and then plan corrective actions in advance. All these developments mean that it is increasingly conceivable to have the digital models of the products and the information associated with them available, therefore it becomes possible and important to be able to exploit this information also for the creation of content for AR/MR applications.
This project, therefore, aims to define methods and tools that exploit data present in CAD/PLM systems in AR/MR applications to guide the user in the operations be carried out according to the specific context and situation.
Company involved in the training activity:
CAD.I.TECH - CAD Integration Technology
Grinding Technology S. R. L.
- Development of skills in the field of applied mathematics and computer graphics and specifically on: methods for the representation and manipulation of 3D models; AR/MR systems; authoring systems of 3D models and content for AR/MR; techniques of human/machine interaction and information presentation in AR/MR environments;
- Definition of methodologies for contextualization and representation of information to make the experience of using the smart assistant useful in assembly/disassembly and maintenance situations;
- Technical reports and publications.
- Software modules for the reuse of CAD/PLM data in AR/MR;
- Multimedia content for the chosen case study including 3D models, videos, texts...;
- Software prototype with multimodal interaction (e.g. with voice commands) for maintenance applied to the case study.